7.12.2006

Through the landscape... far into the horizon

The shutterbug and the travel-bug bite me every school-vacation. A desire to take a break from the same old boring life, internet, computers, school, studies... let go of connectivity and lose myself down some plains of agricultural India, enjoying the rocking pace of a metre-gauge train... cool breeze hitting me in my face. Around me, in the green plains, humanity wakes up and goes about like clockwork... to the same fields, to do the same work, at the same hours...

A desire to go about different places, meet different people... all that I often dream about during the boring hours of a lunch break in my school in urban Trivandrum...

I'm sitting in the doorway of a quaint metre gauge train somewhere in South India... Pulling outside the crowded station, the loco notches up and the aroma of diesel smoke hits me in my face. Lush green paddy fields appear alongside the track; sugarcane fields, coconut trees... and a quaint semaphore signal giving 'clear' to the long brown, green-headed snake cruising through the chill, windy landscape... Faint silhouettes of hills appear in the front. The sun rises up, crimson-orange-red to greet the morning. Little children playing in the streams that quench the thirst of the green, waving fields - food to the teeming millions... The melodious twin tones of the Golden Rocker up front playing symphony with the purring powerpack, the clikkety-clack of the wheels rising above the harsh whisle of the breeze in my ears. Slow moving trees far away, smoke rising up from some village far out on the horizon... Some song of a long-forgotten band in my ears... I dream of rain...I dream of gardens in the desert sand...Fields of gold... No tunnels, no stations crowded with humanity, no stench of sweat, no cigarette smoke... Just going on and on into the pleasant morning, onto the bright afternoon... no hurry, no tension, no worries, no homework... Utopia... Small haystacks, cattle, little boys and girls waving at the passing train...with innocent hearts...On to the unchanging countryside, untouched by modernisation... quaint bridges over still waters...

Into the horizon...coasting into the evening, watching the sun set into the hills yonder.... my feet warm, face cool, mind calm, and heart full...

No comments: