4.14.2007

Vista on 128MB RAM and 16MB graphics???

Vista, my foot... I don't know why the masses are going ga-ga over the latest baby from Micro$oft. Was it the graphics? You bet. That's what people usually look at. Agreed, the features included are rather interesting. And what does the Big Brother say about the features? Here's what they say

Now, this V-thing is greedy... greedy like a pack of ten unfed, hungry pigs. The damn thing needs 1GB of precious memory(for the so-called 'Ultimate' version), 128 MB Graphics memory, and an unbelievable 15GB of hard disk space! Many of you with similar configurations would love to use Vista (mostly for the fun of it, or for the "security" promised)... but are forced to upgrade their now-perfectly-working-boxes.

Now, a bit about my ol' box: It has a good 1.5GHz P4 processor and a meagre 128MB SD-RAM. The guy behind all the graphics is a humble 16MB thing. The only upgrade I've done is attaching a Seagate Barracuda(80GB) to my 40GB HDD, and a DVD-RW drive.

And my OS? Linux. Specifically, it's a derivative of the award-winning, widely popular and friendly distro ubuntu, and is called Kubuntu.

Yesterday, with an evil intention to see how much of new-age graphics my dabba would sustain, I went to KDE-Look.org and installed the "Crystal" window decor(the title bar) and an icon set called "crystal clear" (seems these guys are fond of crystals). A nice black colour-scheme would be more easy on the eyes (especially at night) than the ubiquitous KDE-trademark-white-and-bue and would resemble "Aero" in Vista. To get a more glassy look, I changed the window-style to the old 'keramik' style. The rest was just a matter of enabling transparency in the panel, and selecting black as the Konqueror(file-manager) background. Been there, done that. And the results were... well...

Behold, ladies and gentlemen, the graphics my 128MB-RAM/16MB Graphics system produced:

(Notice the transparent effect on teh bottom panel and the title-bar of the window)

And here's how this place looks:


To get the ultimate eye-candy, check out this post from my friend, who uses linux on his old 512MB(minus onboard grapics)-RAM system. The results are stunning. And for those who have seen it, THIS IS NOT AVAILABLE IN VISTA hehe :) I mean, the cube and all..

If you have a system with specifications similar to mine(described at the beginning), then woudnt you love to have some basic eyecandy, but still not give up on speed? No, dont run Windows 98 on it! Well, then a minimal linux installation is for you. It will come with ALL the latest hardware support, latest, but fast applications specifically re-engineered for low-spec systems. Put it on your oldest PC and watch it fly! Check out how to do so here.

If I've got you interested in linux - its speed, power, capability.. in short, its awesomeness: Know more here: http://www.getgnulinux.org/. Still not convinced? Read this too.

The final word...there's really NO need to upgrade to Vista. The feaures which have been promised have been available in Linux for ages. And for the graphics, well... you've seen the worst!

21 comments:

Akshay said...

That is really intersting!!! I also feel that there is no need to upgrade to vista from the day it was launched.

Anubhav Srivastava said...

Exactly, even I use a software called 'style XP' to get almost the same look as your computer.

Rajiv Nair said...

wanna see what a pc with abt 512MB minus onboard grfx can do with linux.check the screenshots at http://sector-zero.blogspot.com/2006/12/great-ubuntu-blog.html

;)

Vicky said...

nice work dude...i'm using Fedora core 5, but not terribly happy with the fact that it somehow chops up 20% of the window into blackness...FC6 doesn't want to start the x-server, so going to install suse tommorow..hope that works!! anyhow, amazing look on ur tux man!!

Sneha said...

Yep, all this has been seriously bothering me of late! I plan on buying a lap or something some time soon and all the major companies are now offering Vista pcs. I'm okay with that- my only problem is that how the performance be with a 1 gig ram? I mean, windows RECOMMENDS a 2 gig ram for 'good' performance (I SOOO want the aero interface if I'm getting vista. What's the deal about vista without it's flashy interface? In fact, it is the ONLY thing 'new'. Sigh.) This is really confusing!
I saw the screenshots on that link posted by Rajiv. Awesome!!
Btw, how do you take a screenshot?

The Smokin' WDM2 said...

@ akshay: Join the club :)

@Anubhav: Yes, I've used that in Windows too, though not he altest version. My PC was crawling on its knees during startup after I installed LongHorn trans. pack.

@Rajiv: me going for XGL after an upgrade next year!

@vicky: yeah suse10 is good. Nice stability and neat luks.

@sneha: U take a screenshot in Windows, by hitting "Print Screen" and pasting the img from the clipboard onto any file. In linux, (KDE, to be specific) there is a program called KSnapshot, which has more features. I dunno about GNOME... and tell me how Vista ran on 1-Gig.. it oughta run decently, even with Aero.

Macabreday said...

lol..im terrible with the comp stuff.. and i used to think vista was a big deal...and honestly..have no idea what Linux is... shame on me :0

The Blue Indian said...

Dude, I m gonna take tutions from you after 5th may on going ahead with what you have done!!
And the original Windows Vista Ultimate edition on my laptop also crashes as quickly and efficiently as XP ;-)
I bet this is one thing your Linux will never able to match upto!!

Prashant said...

nice way of putting it!!
we don't need to upgrade to vista.
the biggest selling point of vista is security and let me ask who among us has very secret data that need protection.
so there is not much need to upgrade our current PC to run vista.
if u want to see the real differance between vista and XP we need to buy the 'Ultimate' version which costs a pretty penny.
now who out there wants to shell out the wallets to buy a new PC just to run vista.

The Smokin' WDM2 said...

@Mac: try linux out someday

@Blue-man: it wasn't a big deal dude! just that the results are nice

@prashant: exactly...

Sneha said...

Hey have you tried OpenOffice? It's too good to be true :S I mean, the text editor is as good as ms word. Am I missing something??? Seriously! Why do we pay M'Zoft!!! Bleh. The new Office 2007 ultimate version costs like more than 500 USD and the basic student+home one is for about 150 USD!! That's robbery! Sheesh. Anyway, are there any other open source office replacements that are as good (or even better, for that matter!). I'm really getting pissed with Gates.

Hey Blue Indian, does your vista ultimate REALLLLY give you a lot of trouble? Heck. This is getting reallly ugly!

The Smokin' WDM2 said...

@sneha: Most linux distros come with openoffice... And I hate this 'Ultimate', 'basic' etc stuff. I always go for a full version, only thing being it is pirated. Now I decided to turn over a new leaf. About the same time, Open Office has made it big.

Now to give Gate$ and his M$ the finger!

The Blue Indian said...

@Sneha

Actually my Vista is working fine. The only prob is that in true windoze style, it gets stuck up whenever it feels too bored to work!! Didnt expect this from a ORIGINAL Ultimate edition! Sigh!

(Sorry dude for using your comments section for thrid party conversations. Didnt find a more convinient way!!)

StandbyMind said...

cool man..interesting...had this skin and style software..

Akshay said...

Yeah..i 'm goin 2 try linux after my exams. Is this graphics modification possible in red hat linux?

The Smokin' WDM2 said...

@standbymind: Feel good!

@Akshay: If u have KDE installed, then doing this merely takes five minutes.

mishel johns said...

Sriram, thanks..
When you did this with your kubuntu, I just HAD to show you my ubuntu was better..
I did what Rajiv Nair did.. except that i used compiz while he used beryl.
I'll mail you the screenshots..
glx is awesome - beats vista any day..

Nitin SJ Narayanan said...

well....i'll have to agree with mishel on this one...

having seen vista, vista final customisation pack, ubuntu, and kubuntu...

i think the linux is better...


and VISTA is microsoft for godsake!...how do u expect it to be above what you wish...!

Sidhusaaheb said...

All those who have tried Vista that I have interacted with have recommended the same thing as you, i.e. to stay where I am (without Vista).

It seems like there is nothing 'revolutionary' about Vista.

costinel said...

hey, i want a copy of your desktop background picture! :)

Mag1c Wind0w said...

I'm not a great fan of GNU/Linux (sorry...), but it's amazing all the things you can made with your old computer!
Using Windows Vista, I don't have any problems with this OS, work fine on my computer, but need lots of RAM... 2GB RAM isn't enough...

I can see GNU/Linux is very modular, who can work on any system, from an old 80386 CPU to the latest Core i7 CPU...

A good alternative for peoples who want have a modern OS on an old computer who can't run Windows Vista very smooth...
But, I tried to run Windows 7 (the Release Candidate 1 version) with only 128MB RAM and it work good, but a bit slow...
It's amazing! Windows 7 is more modern than Windows Vista but doesn't need a ├╝ber computer! Strange, no? :/