6.13.2008

Monsoon(bleah!) mumblings

After all those long, boring parts of Up, up and away, it's such a relief to be blogging crap again :) Well, there's a point to be made.:

Looking at the feedjit widget in my sidebar ('People and Places'), one can easily spot the wretched souls who come in search of one universal longing: 'Vista on 128 MB RAM'. Everyone - You, me, he, she, it, them, thou, Bush, Blair, Hillary, Obama, Osama, Lalu all seem to be faced with one intriguing million dollar question they type into google in their search for truth: "Can Vista run on 128 MB of RAM?" The number of hits from around the world (look at this!) for this particular post makes you wonder if Vista on 128 MB RAM was something even the Buddha went meditating for. Hell, my buddies, who come in this quest: Vista is too greedy to run on 128 megs. It cant even crawl. And what big deal does Vista offer? If thou still not realiseth yond Microsoft's evil intentions, thy life is a waste, pitiful human. Try running Xubuntu on thy legacy PC, as slick as it gets, and as fast as thought on even the oldest of PCs.

Speaking of Linux, yesterday I had the shock of my life - I was refused entry to my own computer! I had changed my user password in linux, and something had gone wrong ("Malignant fate sat by and smiled, eh?") and I was greeted with login failed everytime I typed the new password(or what I thought was the new password). Also remember, Kubuntu has no 'root' login via the normal way. Panick soon gave way to hope.. oh well, what the hell! No.. no question of a reinstall. I rebooted and entered the recovery mode. The scrolling text-bootup soon greeted me with a 'root@wdp4:" *whew* I was safe. From there, command 'startx' and the beautiful GUI(do I see someone shaking their heads?) logged me in as root. A quick visit to system settings, user maanagement, and setting a new password (It didnt even ask me the old one - well, I'm root, aint I? Authority has its previleges).
I resumed breathing normally when I logged into my good ol' user ID, into my good ol' desktop. But now I shudder... Wasn't that a MAJOR breach of security? I mean, any illiterate infant could come in and change my password via the recover option in bootup. The recover option doesnt even ask me for any password - just logged in as root. So, the paranoid Kubuntu user, beware... edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and delete the second bootup option(recovery mode).

Just look at that weather-widget in the right-centre of the screenshot! Its June, and yet the damn temperature is 28 degC with a tiny 8kmph wind. Well, IS THIS THE MONSOON? Whatever the hell happened to the famous Kerala monsoon? Where are the dark-as-7pm afternoons, the roaring winds, the smell of the sea being hinted in the thundering wild rains? Dark, lazy afternoons when one could sit on the balcony and listen to the raindrops, glimpse the green canopy all over and smell the gallons of fresh water being poured all over God's own country... it's still hot and bright outside.

The time is 1240.. the bell rings 12 kms away in school, to signal the end of the luch break. Sweating, we walk into our bright classrooms, to while away the time for two periods till the interval. It's three months and I've begun to miss school already. But school's not the same now...

Things change... and its time for me to get out of some of the dark days I've been in for sometime. Coincidence is omnipresent, and Mac's latest post is most meaningful for me, too.

6 comments:

Sidhusaaheb said...

Vista requires at least 2GB of RAM, unless one's computer has a graphics card with at least 128MB of on-board memory, in which case, 1GB of RAM should prove sufficient, or so I've heard.

:D

g-man said...

yep, i noticed the feedjit widget :) makes me wonder how dumb ppl are. bloody xp doesn't run properly on 128mb of ram! i still use xp. had to uninstall ubuntu because some of the bloody software i have to use in my engg course won't run on windows, not even on virtualbox!

The Smokin' WDM2 said...

@sidhusaaheb: All the more reason for switching to opensource freedom!

@g-man: because some of the bloody software i have to use in my engg course won't run on windows, not even on virtualbox! Did you mean "won't run on linux, not even on virtualbox"

g-man said...

yea that's what i meant. damn, and i wasn't even drunk! woohoo, i'm losing it!

n i t i n said...

gates and microsoft sucks ass man....and vista sucks upto the end of the large intestine...

but still ppl have to live with it... :X

its just like me sticking to the PC just coz I cant have a Ps3(sob sob)

and yeah..the 'feedjit thingy...you see I doffer to appreciate stuff I cant have my hands on..therefore..bla bla..bla.....

The Smokin' WDM2 said...

@g-man: ^5!

@ n i t i n: dont be so loud mouthed about it, buddy... you'll never know when your only choice of a job might end up to be at MS! I've had nightmares of that sort...X-| but I am confused about that word 'doffer' Dictionary-- doffer:A device that strips material from another part on a textile machine. A worker who replaces full bobbins or cones with empty ones. WTF?