7.31.2008

The bleak situation

Holidays started three months ago. A welcome relief from God-knows-how-many-months of self-imposed slavery to routine and study. After the initial couple of weeks of not-knowing-what to do and trying-to-do-as-much-as-one-could-inspite-of-not-really-knowing-what-the-hell-to-do way of lifestyle that usually takes one by the storm at the start of any long vacation, there was the overseas trip. And of course the big upgrade. After that, life started to settle down...

Everyday, it was(and is) the same thing... Wake up at 1100 hrs and wonder if it is noon or still morning..take a leak.. switch on the computer, check mail, blog, forums, etc.. Brush teeth.. Head downstairs and read the paper while breakfast+lunch combi is being packaged by grandma. Take the parcel and head upstairs. Read something (blogs, articles on tuxmachines.org, or just Calvin&Hobbes while shoving food into mouth). Head downstairs to wash plate and return, to continue in front of the computer till evening..eat something..hang about downstairs, quick walk to buy some milk or something.. listen to music till the body falls asleep at around 0000 hrs or so.

A quick examination of this routine made me realise that it wouldn't do. So I drew up an ambitious little plan, rather a to-do list. It ran soemthing as follows:
1. Learn linux shell-scripting.
2. (if possible) Learn JS, and hopefully PHP too.
3. Go for swimming classes.
4. Do some railfanning.
5. Find some time to do some stretching exercise, pullups, etc. to improve my pathetic physique.
6. Read some books.
7. Blog!

Bleah! That was two months ago. As of now, the status stands.
1. Shell scripting knowledge: Moderate
2. JS learnt: Bare-basics... PHP: Nil
3. Swimming classes: Not joined yet
4. Railfanning: Hardly any
5. Exercise: Nil :(
6. Books read: Few
7. Blogging: Somewhat regular-ish.

As a result, my chair has a perfect impression of my bums on it and by now, my neighbours and people in the street have given me up for an illusion. My grandparents(who live in my house) seriously doubt my existence during the daytime. My weight has remained strictly the same over the past three months, and I doubt if I will make it through half an hour of rigorous outdoor-play. And still rake-thin, with dense glases.

Pic courtesy http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/computer-addiction-2.jpgAfter months of serious linux usage, I feel a void whenever I'm forced to use Windows... and to my horror, I found that stuff like certain software reviews published on DIGIT, etc., actually are not interesting me any more! One look at the screenshot, the 'Start' button in it, and the thought, "Oh.. it's for that-other-OS." crosses my mind and I head to another page... I SWEAR I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP!!! I dont know if whatever is happening to me in this context is good or bad.. maybe I'll just wait and watch :)

In the true spirit of my health and immunity, I caught a cold from nowhere. My eyes start to drift and my fingers feel heavy as the sedation induced by the medicine takes over my system. All's left is the publish button.
And it's not a long way to bed.

9 comments:

Hari said...

Hah!!

Dude, this is nothing! I've had WORSE situations in the pre-engineering vacations!! Yep, I had almost 4 months of vacation due to a perennially-procrastinated 'counseling'!:-S

Don't worry, classes will start soon (if what I hear is true) and you'll start cursing why these holidays could have been longer!!

Make the most of now. You won't regret it later! Trust me!

:-)

Hari said...

About the Windows screenshot looking alien:
Ditto. :-|

And btw, thanks for the script. Managed to help out a freaked-out friend with it... :D

Sriram said...

@hari: Yep, I had almost 4 months of vacation due to a perennially-procrastinated 'counseling'! This is getting close to four months now :)
And btw, thanks for the script. Managed to help out a freaked-out friend with it... :D You're welcome! I'm working on the second version(0.9) now... it's got a great deal more functionality :)

Sidhusaaheb said...

Walk for at least half an hour every day. No brisk walking required...just a comfortable pace...roughly the same as the one at which you go to fetch milk...

Should do your immunity a lot of good...

Happy holidays!

:)

n i t i n said...

aah..yawn! ehm..what? and you thought you were the only one..arey yaar...I can't even get myself to even type this...!!

maybe these are the times I need to start continuing my music classes, or go for a swim, or read a book....but what I do is just doze off..!!

kinda feeling sleepy bro..ciao, n get well soon..

Sriram said...

@sidhusaaheb: Thanks :)

@nitin: maybe these are the times I need to start continuing my music classes, or go for a swim, or read a book....but what I do is just doze off..!! Atleast you doze off, and that does you some good. I drain my broadband connection :\

rantravereflect/ jane said...

hey baudddddddddyy :) hi-5.. :) geeeee.. i jus put in my papers yesterday.. no work.. a sitting duck at home..
heeee this cycle of sleep-eat-blog-brush-moozik is actuallly karmic- sooo relaxing :)

shel-cripting n all :( me no nene understand :(:(
heee should catch up with you sometime man- n know abt what ya guys game n code n break codes- i wanna do a story on tat :)

heeeee chair has an impression with ya bums on it- heee i'd like to see it so tat i can cartoon ya.. ;);)

heee feel numb this way for a while- when ya start work n all , all this numbness is hardly gettable. geeee:)

keep it going bruthe!!

Niranjani said...

i remember having spent my post board vacations on a hand held video game which my dad had bought.it was quite a posession those days and at the end of 3 months i successfully broke it.

Sriram said...

@jane: ^5!
@niranjani: Yeah I too had one of those loong back - "Brick game" or something, after playing about with it, took it apart and the sad circuits now lie to rust in peace!