9.07.2008

Die Geschichte bis jetzt...

I finally decided to.. er.. clean my room. Really, I mean it. I should have been in College these days, but as luck would have it (or in the way of life, rather) - classes have been postponed to start only on the 19th of September. Four months ago, it was the time of the boards and the entrance exams. During such laborious times of my life, my faithful room bent space around it so that it could hold more than its volume. It did the job pretty well, but it can't for long..


For the past four months precisely, this was one 'job' I kept putting off till eternity. I mean, there's absolutely no need to clean my room. I have argued a lot in that respect and since my points are clear and logical, my folks don't usually win the argument.


1. Only I use (most of) my room.
2. Besides my things, only two almirahs are used by others.
3. To use the almirah, the only requirement is that the pathway to it should be clean. That is satisfied.
4. My room is a separate siding(a loop line), through which people need not pass in order to get anywhere else.
5. Therefore, point #1 rings true.
6. I know where exactly everything is, where anything was, and I have the absolute guarantee that it will continue to stay there until disturbed by an external force. My room is the only place in my house where Newton's first law still holds true.
7. I hereby prove that there is absolutely NO NEED WHATSOEVER to clean my room.
--------- quod erat demonstrandum ------------

But then at the end of the day, it's the persuasion that gets on your nerves until you decide to do the damn thing yourself. But it's no easy task.

The whole thing has to be planned out, and one has to think logically, in terms of layers. One layer currently covers the floor. A second layer occupies it here and there. The third layer temporarily holds things like dust and people walking in the room, and the fourth layer is one onto which things fall when you drop them. The biggest challenge is the book-rack in the corner. To clear that you need to put it on the floor. But the floor is already loaded. So another layer is added. Once the shelf is clean, you need to figure out what to put in there. But as it always turns out, the things you decide to put in there are miles below, in the first layer kissing the floor. You need a lot of planning and a lot of resistance to dust to get the dirty job done.

I looked almost similar to g-man in his Osama-ish pic while he was cleaning his room months back. One heave brought down all the preparation material of yore (Objective books, Physics, Chem, maths today magazines and a couple of other odds and ends) in a huge show of smoke. (My neighbour swears to have seen a mushroom cloud, but I'm sure he was exaggerating). God, looking at those things was akin to moving a dear one's belongings after he is no more or something. My heart ached to see such material having been of not much use to me. After all, I had counted on acing the AIEEE so much :( So much so that I even kept a copy of an India Today issue featuring an "India's best colleges" article somewhere under my desk, to take it out "for inspiration" whenever I got bored on studying for the entrance exams long back. I took out that mag for one last time, and tore it into pieces.

Countless sheaves of paper, notebooks, all scrawled with Physics, calculus, chemical equations, or arbit calculations went the same way - torn, disfigured, and into the dustbin. The feeling was horrible. I was so crestfallen by the way something, someone up in the control-panels of life had screwed up somethnig I was looking forward to. Everyone, almost all of my friends in my little circle had gone elsewhere and I was left to rot in this same old city for the next four years of my life. True, I had got into a good college right now, but I couldn't simply ignore the fact that it was something above that which I was aiming for. All the extra work, all the time I put in was simply wasted.. thrown out the open window into the gloomy, rainy afternoon.

I have finished stage-one of the cleaning. The bookshelf is clean, with just the dictionaries, a few of my school books which I dont wanna part with, and a couple of blank papers. Everything else - entrance notes, objective books, tuition study-material have been dumped into a big cardboard box. I don't want them now. Or again. Hell, I dont want to look at it again. College starts two weeks from now and I know what I want to do and where I want to be. Four years ahead, I want to look back and smile.. and to give my past mistakes the finger..

Right now, it's a new beginning. A new page in the book of life... once or twice I received a bolt from the blue. It ends there.

I will not let life surprise me again.

20 comments:

Merlz said...

The biggest challenge is the book-rack in the corner. To clear that you need to put it on the floor. But te floor is already loaded. So another layer is added. LMAO!!!

You know what? You just described all my past endeavours of cleaning up my room. Sigh! I miss it qa lot these days....I promised myself that I'll turn over a new leaf and keep my hostel room clean. MAnaged to do it for 6 days. And today, be fore setting out for some city-exploring, it looks like MY room finally! with everything where it's not supposed to be. :D

Felt nice to read your stuff after so long man. Hope to keep up with you. :)

Sriram said...

I promised myself that I'll turn over a new leaf and keep my hostel room clean. MAnaged to do it for 6 days:> REALLY? WHOA!
with everything where it's not supposed to be. :D:: I'd rather not use that term.. in my room, everything is RIGHT WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE. In other words, where I put it :)
All this reminds me of Calvin's mum asking him to clean his room and stuff.. LOL that comic simply rocks!

Merlz said...

Hehe...hail Calvin!

Aaand...you won't understand it...when you are in a hostel room, there ain't much ROOM to speak of. No specific place for seperate things. Only options are cupboard, under-the-bed, and bed. And maybe the roomie's bed if she ain't around. :D

Ranganath Eunny said...

If you clean your room, we are not friends!

Sriram said...

@merlz: Only options are cupboard, under-the-bed, and bed. And maybe the roomie's bed if she ain't around. :D:: LOL!!

@ranga: Hey I've still not done the second part :D

n i t i n said...

hah!

poor fellas!


what the f^ck!

HAHAHAHAHA!
I can still laugh at you, till I start cleaning mine...which is apparently...not..I mean, never....going to happen!!! so Boo you!



come on!!! you ARE NOT supposed to clean anything...not even your SOCK! Forget the ROOM!!
Havent studying with us had enough effect on you so as for you to understand....

YOU DON'T CLEAN STUFF! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO MESS IT UP!!!

n i t i n said...

And what's with the f^ckin 'Geschichte' n shit like that?? huh!



haaah!!


:|

Sriram said...

@nitin: hehe... I'm still stuck at the logistics of second step of cleaning.. it's tough shit. I mean, figuratively ;)

I'M ABANDONING THE CLEANING. It's now more f!cked up than ever before :D

And that title in German roughly translates into "The story so far".

jj said...

This post just unleashed a flood of memories for me. Good one...

"Right now, it's a new beginning. A new page in the book of life... once or twice I received a bolt from the blue. It ends there.
I will not let life surprise me again." ... Good luck man

Sidhusaaheb said...

So did you shriek, "Aieee!" when you saw your AIEEE results?

:D

No offence meant, but it's probably best to laugh it all off now.

I like the drawings, BTW. Very lucid!

:)

I used to have a poster on my room's door at one point of time, laying down a set of rules for all 'visitors', mainly letting them know that nothing was to be disturbed, including any insects/lizards, etc.

:D

Sriram said...

@jj: thanks a lot for dropping by.. and the wishes :)

@sidhusaaheb: hehe.. "Aieee!" indeed! I'm thinking of putting up a similar board too.. :D

Hari said...

OMG!! So structured!! :-o And look at the diagrams!! OMG!!

And Maths Today, Chemistry Today et al?

Dude,we used to ridcule all those 'today' users like hell @ school!

So you were a geek, eh? :P :D

Sriram said...

@hari: OMG!! So structured!! heh.. comes from too much addiction to c and c++ ;)

Macabreday said...

hahaha
good post man... funny one.. well written..and good luck in starting college :)

Sriram said...

@mac: thanks man :)

Urgu said...

dey awesome pics man. that cross section bites ass.

Sriram said...

@guru: glad to have ye back.... now no more excuse for not blogging. YOu have te net, and u have linux too.. get back to the world!

The Blue Indian said...

Dude when you manage to find a foolproof algorithm to clean up your room, do share here (Linux fan, Open-source, remember?) ... till then I am waiting and watching layers of books, dust, more books, more dust reach the ceiling height!

Hari said...

@ Sriram:
C has more 'structures' than CPP.

And yeah, I know better PJs but I resist for your sake. :D

Sriram said...

@karan: Yeh sure.. :D What do u prefer it in.. python or c?

@hari: ooooooh.. I thought you meant "structuredness" of the language... ye know, curly braces and stuff :D